ESC Alpine Racing Committee

Minutes of the 87th ARC meeting held on Saturday, 27th January 2001

At Swadlincote Ski Centre

 

 

PRESENT:

Peter HEATH

PH

Ros HUMPHREY

RH

Brian GILYEAD

BG

Alan WEST

AW

Ian ROBERTS

IR*

Kelly MORRIS

KM

John WILLIAMS

JW

Alan ASHFIELD

AA**

* acting chairperson in the absence of Derek Metters (Chairman of ARC)

** left meeting at 13.45h

 

APOLOGIES

Gillian GILYEAD

Graham PICKLES

Gordon COLE

 

Graham BECK

Derek METTERS

 

 

 

10.00h - 10.30h ARRIVAL, COFFEE

 

The Committee sends its best wishes to DM during his family bereavement. Also, the Committee acknowledges that DM can revisit any issue the Committee should decide on during the meeting.

 

 

Action

 

87.1.0

MINUTES       (already circulated)

 

 

 

Minutes of the 86th meeting were approved and signed. A copy of the definitive minutes is attached to these minutes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

87.2.0

MATTERS ARISING

 

 

87.2.1

Ski Racing leaflet

 

 

 

PH pointed out that the leaflet STP has just updated was not the same as the leaflet, which is sent out to new racers by the ESC office. IR will take the updating of the ‘Information to New Racers Handout’ back to STP for updating.

IR

 

87.2.2

ESC Year book/New Letter

AA reported that the ESC News Letter is now nearly ready for publishing. However, any additional articles could be sent within the next few days to Jacky Wright, Tel.: 01529 497027 - publisher, or contact Nigel Matthews (Tel. 01455 274 230, Fax 01455 274839, e-mail: dtraining@aol.com) – ESC Board Member who is in charge of the News Letter. DM may want to take up this offer to include an article on ARC matters.

IR asked the Board to provide everybody with a set of deadlines so ARC and other Committees can work towards these.

 

 

 

 

DM

 

BOARD

 

87.2.3

Racing for Skiers with Disability

 

 

 

PH asked what progress had been made in encouraging skiers with disability to take part in races. Cathy Hammond of BCSD had been appointed to the Coaches Committee and ROTP were to contact her to open a dialogue. PH will write Graham Peacock of NHSA to inform him on what is being done.

PH asked the Board for some more information on the criteria underpinning the ESC Board’s donation of £900 to a skier with disability of Kendal Ski Club who is aspiring to go to the Paralympics in 1 year’s time. AA to contact Graham Pickles to let ARC have this information.

ROTP

PH

 

 

BOARD

 

AA

 

87.2.4

ARC Committee-Members

 

 

 

To be discussed at the next meeting when the Chairman of ARC will be present.

DM

 

87.2.5

At the last meeting, ARC had asked the Board to develop a process that would ensure that individuals who are not current Club members do not use the Club name on the ESC database. AA reported that the Board had not discussed this request. RH to contact Andrew Jolly to put this item onto the agenda for next Board Meeting.

BOARD

 

RH

 

87.2.6

Soft Ski Race Programme

In response to a query from JW, PH explained that the Soft Ski version on the Website for downloading is the full program as used for the races. However, without the Security Key/Dongle, one cannot print. The ESC will have two Dongles available for race organisers free of charge about 2 weeks before the race so that the Chief of Timing can get used to the program. ROTP is holding a Training Course on this subject on 18 March 2001. There is now also a full set of Help Screens in English as part of the program. ROTP to advise all race organisers to make sure that they contact AW to get the Dongle at the earliest opportunity.

 

 

 

 

 

AW/

ROTP

 

87.2.7.

European & World Championships 2001 at Wycombe Summit

Robin Kellen of Snowsports Wales had written to the Chair to express concern about the advance PR being circulated about these events. PH pointed out that ARC made its decision on this at the last meeting (86.3.1). IR explained the BSSF and FIS stance. IR to draft a ‘bold statement of fact’ to inform the ESC membership, which should go out with the next ESC mailing.

 

 

 

 

IR

 

87.2.8

RH to ask Andrew Jolly to identify 3 or 4 dates in the year when combined mailings can go out from the ESC office.

RH

 

 

 

 

 

87.3.0

REPORTS FROM GROUPS

 

 

87.3.1

ROTP

Alan West

Written report circulated

 

 

 

ESC Database is now available, via PH, for targeted ESC business.

Masters Category, ROTP advice to ARC is that the Masters categories of M1, M2 + M3 (in 10 year gaps) male and female with Seniors aged 21 – 30 only, is adopted for the Club National Races. After a full exchange the committee decided to accept ROTP’s recommendation. It was also decided that as from now at all ESC races, within the race results, the Master Categories break down would be stated. However only at the Club National Races would medals be awarded to Masters. ROTP to inform race organizers.

Quota of Masters at the All England Championships:

ROTP’s advice to ARC is that there is no quota for Masters at the All England Championships. The top 200 racers of England, regardless of age, should be accepted for the Championships. If Masters are treated differently, the children 1 category should also receive special attention.

At the 80th ARC meeting under All England Championships, the minutes state: “If possible in 1999, Organisers should aim for a representative entry from all age categories; a total of no more than 15 places may be kept for Masters (females and males together). The minutes were clarified at the 81st ARC meeting by adding ‘Confirmed quota of up to 15 Masters; including any within points criteria’. After a lengthy discussion the Committee decided to discuss this matter again at the next meeting when DM is present.

Inter Regional Race -Regional Coaches have been contacted by ROTP to ask for their input on the future running of the Inter-Regional Race. All answers to Alan West before 31 March 2001.

Soft ski programme Course

To learn how to use the Soft Ski Programme, ROTP has arranged a course for 18 March 2001. A flyer will be distributed to all racers/officials with the race calendar mailing.

Course Setters Course - ROTP is happy to organize this workshop and invite interested Race Officials to this Course. However, ROTP is asking the Coaching Committee to invite Coaches. AA was asked to take this to the Coaching Committee and liaise with AW. It was agreed that successful completion of the course should admit Coaches to the B List of Course Setters.

Race Manual – Is nearly ready for publishing. IR confirmed that he will provide comments on outstanding issues and proof read the whole manual in the very near future.

ESC Equipment

It was reported that the ESC timing equipment was beyond repair. ROTP asked to look into the timing equipment issue to find out if ESC races could be run by using Club/Regional timing equipment or would it be necessary for ESC to buy a modern timing system.

Grand Prix & England Representatives Prize Giving Ceremony – Should be part of the All England Championships; however, ROTP suggests that the organisation beforehand should be done by a different group of people rather than by the Organising Panel for the All England Championship. ARC to look into this.

 

 

 

 

 

ROTP

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AA/

AW

 

 

IR

 

 

 

ROTP

 

 

DM

 

87.3.2

STP

Ian Roberts

 

 

 

 

 

IR reported that the TD Forum will meet 12 May 2001 and the BSSF TD Forum/Open Day will be held on 3 and 4 November 2001 at RAF Henlow. All key Race Officials are invited to the Open Seminar on Sunday 4 November 2001.

 

 

 

87.3.3

BSSF

 

 

 

 

PH reported on Ewen MacLean’s (BSSF Discipline Director) Alpine Executive handout that was circulated at the BARSC Championships. AA was asked if the Board had reacted to it. ARC asked the Board, with the committee’s involvement, to contact Ewen as soon as possible, as the statements in the leaflet do not address any issues, which the Home Nations wanted the Alpine Executive to fulfill.

AA/

BOARD

 

87.3.4

ESC BOARD

 

 

 

 

 

It was reported that GB has withdrawn his resignation. The committee expressed concern at the apparent communication breakdown over the status of the ESC Chairman. AA had nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

 

 

87.4.0

RACE CALENDAR

 

 

 

Ready at the ESC Office to be sent out.

JW reported that the All England Championships 2001 has now its own web site: www.allenglandskichampionships.co.uk

 

 

 

 

 

 

87.5.0

RISK ASSESSMENT- HELMETS

 

 

 

In the absence of DB it was decided that the Chair would seek details of the data that DB had collected with a view to assessing whether risk existed that should be addressed. Failing informed advice, it was decided to include suitably worded advice in the ORB

IR/DM

 

 

 

 

 

87.6.0

ALPINE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2001

 

 

 

 

DM and RH visited the Kaunertal and had meetings with the Gletscherbahnen, Tourist Office and the Ski Club Kaunertal. Everything is now on line. As always, finances are very tight.

The Organisers will introduce this year for the first time perpetual trophies for the best ESC Clubs (using a formula similar to that used at BARSC Championships to determine the 1st 2nd and 3rd best ESC registered Club) and for the best Open Club. At the moment, sponsorship for trophies is looked for. Any help is welcome.

AA suggested that a ‘shopping list’ should be created, which could be used to find different sponsors for different items for the Championships Week.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DM/Org Com.

 

 

 

 

 

87.7.0

SQUAD MATTERS

 

 

87.7.1

 

Charles SAVAGE

PH reported that Charles Savage had appealed against his non-selection into the ESC Squad. DM looked into the provided evidence and Charles has now been selected into the ESC B Squad.

JW suggested that the selection processes should be reviewed with a view to avoiding the same happening next time round.

 

 

 

 

DM

 

87.7.2

Squad Management Panel

AA reported that a Squad Management Panel had been set up in liaison with DM. Under the instruction of Graham Beck, John Shaw was put in place as Chairperson of the Squad Management Panel. Other members are, George Kirov, Kelly Morris, Gillian Gilyead, Alan Ashfield and Kevin Blanks. The Panel had met but the minutes showed confusion about whether the Panel had a policy making or day-to-day management remit. The Committee felt strongly that the main duty of this Panel should be to help with the day-to-day running/management of the Squad, reporting back to ARC and that ARC should provide as soon as possible ‘terms of reference’ for this panel.

 

AA/DM/ARC

 

87.7.4

Artificial Slope Squad

 

 

 

In the absence of DB it was decided that the Chairman of ARC has to assign someone else to look into the criteria for the selection of this Squad in order to move it forward.

DM

 

87.7.5

 

Report on Christmas Camp                     report by Kelly Morris

Was hampered by the lack of snow in the Alps. The Squad should have been out in the Alps for just under one month but when the British Land Championships and many other FIS races were cancelled, it was decided to return to England with a view to returning to the Alps when conditions improved.

 

 

87.7.6

Proposals for 2001

Selection Criteria                           draft circulated before the meeting

Programme                                    draft circulated before the meeting

The Committee approved the 2 documents. However, the Committee felt that it would be more manageable to nominate a smaller group of racers for selection. DM and PH to re-examine the points criteria against the need to reduce the size of the pool from which the final Squad will be selected. The deadline to have this in place has been passed. Therefore, this must receive top priority. It was felt appropriate to nominate about 30 athletes from which to select 20. Females must not be excluded.

JW would like DM to consider excluding the last paragraph of the ‘Alpine Squad Selection Criteria Paper ‘Other athletes…………………. Childrens’ Championships due to the potential for non-objective criteria to be introduced.

Alpine Squad Policy                    draft circulated before the meeting

The policy document was approved. JW suggested asking Coaches who actually work regularly with the racers on snow to become members of the selection committee. DM to invite them. JW felt unable to take up a seat on the Selection Committee.

 

 

 

DM/PH

 

 

DM

 

 

DM

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

 

 

87.8.0

OCCASIONAL RACING BULLETIN draft copy was circulated

 

 

After changing/adding a few words, the draft copy was approved. It will be circulated to all racers with the next mail shot. If STP wanted to include something else, IR will have to contact AW within the next 2 days.

 

IR

 

 

 

 

 

87.9.0

BRITISH/FIS Competition Rules, seeding and other matters, if not dealt with elsewhere.

The ICR, British Forum Meetings Minutes and the FIS Precisions as well as the BCR can be found on PH’s web site – www.britski.org.

 

 

 

 

 

87.10.0

PROGRESS ON FOUR YEAR PLAN

Written summary was circulated

 

 

Due to the fact that DM was absent, it was decided to discuss this item at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

87.11.0

DATES FOR 2001 ARC MEETINGS

 

 

24 March 2001

 

05 May 2001

 

07 July 2001

 

DM to suggest a new date for the 24 March 2001 meeting. Also, it was pointed out that the meeting on 05 May 2001 falls on the Bank Holiday Weekend

 

 

 

 

 

87.12.0

AOB

 

 

None

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 15.10h                    Kings Langley, 28/01/01