Alpine Racing Committee
Minutes of the 84th ARC meeting held on Saturday, 11th March 2000
at Swadlincote Ski Centre 


PRESENT:
Derek METTERS 		DM
Ros HUMPHREY		RH
Gillian GILYEAD		GG
John WILLIAMS		JW

APOLOGIES
Peter HEATH		PH
Chris HILL		CH
Ian ROBERTS		IR

10.00h - 10.30h ARRIVAL, COFFEE,


84.1.0	MINUTES
Minutes of the 83rd meeting were approved and signed. 

84.2.0	MATTERS ARISING

84.2.1	Safety Helmets:
	GG contacted Ski Safe but has not received a reply as yet.

	ARC, after seeking advice, is in the process of an extensive risk assessment. 
	Anybody with a 'story to tell' should contact DM direct. It is hoped to announce 
	the outcome of the risk assessment and its decision on wearing safety-helmets in early Autumn.

	ARC's findings and recommendations will be disseminated as quickly as possible, using the 
	web site www.britski.org and national mailings, and in any case in time for the clubs and 
	athletes to plan for the 2001 plastic season.

	GG reported on a letter circulated to the members of the ESC Schools Committee, from a 
	school in Cornwall. It is proposed that it becomes the teacher's responsibility to ensure 
	that each child wears a helmet, of the correct standard, properly fitted. ARC felt this 
	would be difficult to manage and that parents should be responsible for providing the 
	correct helmet with the right fittings. GG to report to ESC Schools Committee on ARC's 
	stand on wearing of safety-helmets.

84.2.2	Slope Ski Poles
	Slope Ski Poles with rounded sealed ends will be acceptable, as these are too broad 
	to take tip protectors and may not be as dangerous as snow oles with ice tips.


84.2.3	Update on Symposium
	A report was circulated prior to the meeting, this is also posted on www.britski.org .


84.3.0	REPORTS FROM GROUPS

84.3.1	ROTP
	No report was submitted.
	Artificial Ski Slope Race Calendar is now available and being circulated to all registered racers.

84.3.2	STP 
	No report was submitted.

84.3.3	BSSF	all available reports can be seen on BSSF or PH's web site

84.3.4	ESC BOARD
	No report was submitted

84.3.5	Dry Slope Calendar - Is prepared and in the process of being circulated to all racers. 
	L&SERSA have asked for the club national planned for May to be rearranged for July, the same 
	weekend as the European Championships are held in Wales, to allow L&SERSA to staging the 
	World Artificial Championships (2 un-seeded races) on 27 and 28 May 2000. The committee felt 
	that the calendar was the result of a co-ordinated process involving English clubs and regions 
	and the other home nations and no change could be made at this stage if it conflicted with 
	another calendared race. ARC wished to support athletes and clubs in the south east and 
	therefore suggested several other options, including seeding the Wycombe Cup. The committee 
	felt that the development of future international competitions should be done in a co-ordinated 
	manner to ensure maximum benefit for athletes. DM to approach L&SERSA

84.3.6	Alpine Championships 2000
	To take place between 16/4/2000 - 21/4/2000 in Wengen Switzerland. All preparations are in 
	full swing. The committee thanked Ros Humphrey for all her hard work during the summer and 
	winter of 1999/2000, without her the championships might not have gone ahead. They also thanked 
	Gordon Cole and Ingie Christopherson for their input during the DHO birthday celebrations

84.4.0	ESSKIA	Gillian Gilyead
	Current structure of ESSKIA had been dealt with at the Symposium and is recorded in the notes 
	of the Symposium.
	Discussion took place around future co-operative activity. GG felt the arrangements worked well 
	at the moment, ESSKIA offers a specialist race format that allows and encourages competent racers 
	to enter ESC races as members of a Club. 
	DM offered ESSKIA PH's web site as a tool of advertisement.

84.5.0	SQUAD MATTERS

84.5.1	1999/2000 progress report + Programme for rest of the season + Squad report
	Papers have been circulated to all ARC members prior to the meeting. 

84.5.2	Selection Policy 2000
	Updated paper had been circulated to all ARC members prior to the meeting. After adding some 
	final amendments this document can now be posted on PH's web sited. JW to produce a racer friendly 
	version as soon as possible but before Easter 2000. 

	DB to contact DM re suggested dry slope squad structure/entry criteria/etc.

	DM to report back on the outcome of his conversations to find out if at least 2 of them would 
	take up a place on the Squad Selection Committee. 

84.5.3	Draft ARC Budget 2000
	Paper had been circulated to all ARC members prior to the meeting.

84.5.4	DM reported on his e-mail communication with BSSF in relation of places at FIS races for next Winter.

84.6.0	4 YEAR PLAN	Graham Beck
	POSTPONED TO THE NEXT MEETING

84.7.0	BRITISH/FIS Competition rules
	Nothing to report

84.8.0	COMMUNICATIONS

84.8.1	Year Book
	DISCUSSION POSTPONED TO NEXT MEETING

84.8.2	PH's letter - re seed lists
	Peter had contacted the other HNGB with the suggestion to have 5 Seed Lists for Artificial Ski 
	Slope Racing Season 2000. The first and the last to be as a hard copy distributed to all registered 
	racers as well as on his web site. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th copy to be available electronically only 
	(i.e. on his web site). 
	The committee suggested that any registered racer should be able to contact ESC to find out his/her 
	current seed points instantly. 

	Race Organisers with no access to the Internet must also be provided with a currant seed list 
	- maybe on a floppy disc.

84.8.3	DM to contact BSSF re BSSF's Selection Criteria - especially the selection procedure for the 
	British Children's Team.

84.9.0	DATE FOR THE NEXT MEETING
	13th May 2000

	Meeting closed at 14.00				Kings Langley, 13th March 2000