Alpine Racing Committee 
Minutes of the 83rd ARC meeting held on Saturday, 22nd January 2000 at
Swadlincote Ski Centre 

PRESENT: Alan ASHFIELD* AA 
Ros HUMPHREY 		RH 
David BLACKWELL+ 	DB 
Derek METTERS 		DM 
Gordon COLE 		GC 
Ian ROBERTS 		IR 
Gillian GILYEAD		GG
John WILLIAMS 		JW 
Peter HEATH 		PH 
+ Left at 14.45h 
*arrived at 11.05h

APOLOGIES 
Graham BECK 		GB 
Chris HILL 		CH 

10.00h - 10.30h ARRIVAL, COFFEE,READING TIME 


83.1.0 	MINUTES 
	minutes of the 82nd meeting were approved and signed. 
	82.11.3 complete last sentence with : 'will be determined.' 
	GG requested to receive the minutes as early as possible. 


83.2.0 	MATTERS ARISING 

79.3.0  Declaration of Interest: 
	GC is still waiting for an ESC Declaration of Interest form. 

82.2.2 Safety Helmets: Assessment of Risk papers were circulated with the agenda 
	A discussion followed and the updated papers will be circulated before 
	the next meeting. IR suggested to mention the Athletes Declaration Form 
	in the Briefing Notes. IR to review TD reports for the last 3 years to 
	analyse accidents. DM/DB to contact all registered Coaches and Ski Centres 
	for their input. Coaches and Ski Centres to be asked to identify accidents 
	in the way that is most convenient to them. PH to look into the International 
	Competition & Equipment Rule Book for any mentioning on skiing helmets etc. 
	DB to assist DM in collated all the information. 

	GG had received a letter from a company called Ski Safe promoting safety in skiing.
	They are a commercial outfit selling ski helmets and other equipment. They claim 
	that statistics show that there are a lot of head injuries in skiing. GG to write 
	to them to ask for the written evidence on their claim. GG to keep DM informed. 

	ARC's findings and recommendations should be made public as soon as possible. 
	To inform the skiing public, the updated papers will be put onto PH's web site. 

82.3.2 	PH pointed out that the 'Boys & Girls' participation race rule only applies to races 
	organised on behalf of the ESC. 

82.3.3. GG pointed out that she still had not received a hard copy of the 2000 race calendar 
	and it makes it very difficult for ESSKIA to plan their activities. PH reported that 
	the 2000 calendar has been on his web site since Christmas. However, the hard copies 
	will be part of the ESC mailing mid February. 

82.3.4 	DM reported the European Championships would be held in Wales and that a number of 
	countries/nations had been invited to send teams. SCOW would meet some of the costs 
	of national teams. 


83.4.0 	REPORTS FROM GROUPS 

83.4.1 	ROTP 
	ROTP's next meeting is scheduled for Sunday, 23rd January 2000. 

83.4.2 	STP 
	Ian Robert ESC TD Forum met on 5th Dec. 1999. Sue McGregor Ogden was appointed to STP 
	to replace Pam Boulton (who retired last year). IR had 2 assignments as British TD 
	over Christmas and New Year (2 DHO races and the BARSC Children Championships). 
	Carl McGregor Ogden acted as TD for the Technical Disciplines at the RAF Championships.
	
	It was decided to open the ESC TD Forum to the wider, interested skiing public.

	Updated BCR is still not available to help with English Champoionships. However, a very 
	informative e-mail was received from Susie Berry. 
	
	SLALOM: It is not possible to set a course which is legal for both Children l and Juniors.

	GIANT SLALOM: When Children and Juniors compete on the same course, the vertical drop has 
	to be exactly 250 m. Children ll and Juniors can no longer compete against Children I. 
	(Children l must be excluded from the second run). Children I and Minis could be run 
	together but would not be eligible for points. 

	SUPER-G: When Children l and Children ll compete on the same course, the vertical drop has 
	to be exactly 250 m. When Children ll and Juniors compete on the same course, the vertical 
	drop has to be exactly 350 m. Children l and Juniors cannot compete on the same course. 
	Children and Juniors cannot compete against each other if the children exercise their option 
	to have a training run because the Juniors are not allowed it. 

83.4.3 	BSSF 	all available reports can be seen on BSSF or PH's web site 
	PH stated that the British Team Selection Committee is still without a chairperson, 
	(Alan Stewart had retired in September 1999) and that this is leading to anomalies in 
	Children's team selection. DM to send a letter to BSSF stating ARC's concern and repeating 
	that John Clark would be ARC's suggested replacement for Alan Stewart. 

83.4.4 	ESC BOARD
	ARC welcomed Alan Ashfield as a new ESC Board Member. 

83.4.5 	ALPINE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2000
	DM was still unable to report that Wengen had signed the contract. On Thursday evening, 
	we learnt that no single group (as was promised at Christmas) could take all decisions 
	and organisers would have to negotiate with three groups and develop 3 different 
	contracts (Train/Mountain, Club and Hotels). GC and Ingrid Christophersen offered to 
	help while being in Wengen for the 75th Birthday Party of DHO at the beginning of 
	February 2000. 


83.5.0 	COACHES ISSUES 
	TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE NEXT MEETING 


83.6.0 	ESSKIA 
	Current structure/processes 
	POSTPONED TO NEXT MEETING 


83.8.0 	SQUAD MATTERS

83.8.1 	1999/2000 progress report 
	GG requested information about the squad programmes and who had taken part 
	and that a list of the named English A and English B Squad should be circulated 
	to all committee members. DM promised to have a written report ready and circulated 
	as soon as possible.

83.8.2	Programme for rest of the season 
	DM promised to prepare a written report and circulate. 

83.8.3 	Selection Policy 2000. 
	Updated paper was handed out at the meeting and discussed at length. All points 
	will be reflected in the revised papers. DM to revise Document and let all committee 
	members have a copy well before the next meeting. The finished and accepted document
	must be made public (PH's web site) as soon as possible. 
	DB to revise/quantify the paragraph/requested seed points on English Dry Slope Squad 
	and let DM know of any changes requested. 
	DM to contact the 5 suggested people to find out if at least 2 of them would take up 
	a place on the Squad Selection Committee.

83.10.0 4 YEAR PLAN 
	POSTPONED TO THE NEXT MEETING 

83.10.1	Alpine Symposium 
	To be held, as advertised on February 5th, 2000 at Cannock. As there is no ESC mail shot 
	in the near future, the exact location of the meeting will be published on PH's web site 
	and emailed as widely as possible.


83.11.0 BRITISH/FIS Competition rules
	POSTPONED TO THE NEXT MEETING


83.12.0 COMMUNICATIONS 

83.12.1 Website 
	PH is asked to produce a promotion leaflet advertising his website. Also, on the next 
	seed list, his web address should be made more prominent in order to attract more attention. 

83.12.2 Year Book 
	DISCUSSION POSTPONED TO NEXT MEETING 

83.12.3 Seedlists 
	To ensure that the seedlist is updated more often, it will be published on PH,s web site. 
	Hard copies of the seed list will only be circulated twice a year as part of an ESC mail shot. 
	It was pointed out that not everybody is connected to a web site and therefore, hard copies 
	of the seedlist must be made available to all those people who request a copy. 
	PH reported that the 2nd BASS list for this season is now on his web site. 


83.13.0	DRAFT SUGGESTED DATES FOR THE 2000 MEETINGS 
	18th March 2000 and 13th May 2000 

Meeting closed at 15.45h					Kings Langley, 23rd January 2000